Liberty and Justice for None

I, like many of Americans was truly disappointed with the verdict in the George Zimmermancase. A human life was lost, needlessly I might add, because someone decidedto take the law into their own hands. I honestly believed that our justice system would prevail. I really thought that they would at least give him manslaughter. He killed someone. Taking race out of the equation for a moment (but only a moment) he was given clear instructions on what NOT to do. Not only did he hear them, but gave acknowledgment that he did by saying "okay", yet still choosing to pursue.

He chose to continue to pursue this person, once again after being advised not to, and then a confrontation began, which turned physical. Show me the person who wouldn't be on the  defensive themselves after being approached by someone when its dark and you are walking home alone.

Mr.Zimmerman killed Mr. Martin in cold blood, my opinion. He murdered this child. All George had to do was wait on the police. After the dispatcher told him that they don't need him to be following Trayvon, he should've gone back to his car.

Granted, I didn't see all the evidence that the jury did so maybe I'm out of the loop but the fact remains that George Zimmerman murdered Trayvon Martin and got away scott-free. Where's the justice? Where is the motherfucking justice? Now, putting race back in the equation, I'm sure many have linked comparisons to Michael Vick, Plaxico (sp) Buress and Casey Anthony.  Vick got time for dog fighting. Isn't a human life just as valuable as the animals that white Amerikkka claims us to be? Plaxico shot not himself, but "his damn self"and received jail time, but Casey Anthony who killed her own child and George Zimmerman can walk away unscathed.

I'm scared. I'm not scared for myself, (although I should be) I am scared for my younger brothers; my middle brother especially. He could be Trayvon. Someone could take a look at him, find him threatening and intimidating and take his life. Why? Because he is a young, black male and apparently that is the scariest thing of all in Amerikkka. I sat back last night and was nearly brought to tears thinking of that possibilty. "This could have been Jonathan. This could have been Jason." I kept thinking to myself. "This could have been me," and my murderer or their murderer would have never been brought to justice. I blame the prosecution team because it seems as though they threw the trial. The state didn't want to prosecute Mr. Zimmerman any way, and this trial in my opinion reflects that. At least there finally was a trial. At least Mr. Martin and Ms. Fulton were granted the opportunity to see their child's killer first behind bars, then in the court room. I pray that they find peace with the verdict and are able to continue to move on. Ms. Jeantel, thank you for testifying. Mr. West, and Mr. Zimmerman, well played sirs, well played.

"A system cannot fail those it was never meant to protect."  No truer words were ever spoken. There is no justice for Trayvon and the countless others who perished such as he. Maybe this was intentional. Maybe the jury actually sentenced Zimmerman to death by aquitting him. He will forever be a marked man and has to look over his shoulder wondering if today will be the day that he dies. Well Mr. Zimmerman, you wouldn't have to wonder that if you would have just stayed in the damn car.

Ms. Fulton and Mr. Martin, you have my deepest of condolences.

And to a world sick with racism, get well soon.

--D.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

When is enough, enough?